Tell Me I'm Beautiful (and Other Ways to Show You Love Me)
We are focusing on mothering older children this week on the blog and podcast, and although I have a few years before my littles fly the coop, everyone is quick to remind me the years are short and I'll be navigating adult children relationships before I know it. Years ago I read Gary Chapman's book The Five Love Languages. While it is traditionally used to help partners understand the ways they show and receive love, I think it can be applied to other near and dear relationships, such as the one with our own mothers, as well. And because this kinship goes both ways, here's a list of ways both mothers and adult daughters can show love for each other, Love Language style.
Words of Affirmation
- Tell me I'm a good mom.
- Tell me something specific I do well.
- Express something you appreciate about me.
- Let me know what you think I am good at.
- Compliment something about me.
- Give me your undivided attention for a period of time.
- Spend time with me doing something we both enjoy.
- Go on a walk with me to talk.
- Put away phones or distractions and look at me when we talk.
- Give me a gift that lets me know you were thinking of me.
- Send me flowers to let me know I was on your mind.
- Know my favorite snack and surprise me with it next time we see each other.
- Bring me coffee just because or when I've had a long day.
Acts of Service
- Do a task that helps my day go smoother.
- Clean up the kitchen after we share a meal with our families.
- Mend clothes or fold my laundry.
- Cook a meal.
- Hug me or put your arm around me.
- Hold my hand when we talk.
- Sit close to me and give me a cuddle or two.
And there you have it, easy, actionable ways to show love.
Find out your Love Language with this free test!
Read more about the Love Languages!
Find out the Love Languages of your children here!